Challenge Cup Changes for 2012-13
Challenge Cup Rule Changes for Season 2012-13
The Rapid Solicitors Elite League wish to confirm some rule changes to the Challenge Cup for season 2012-13.
All Challenge Cup group matches will now go to overtime and penalty shots to decide a winner. This is a change to the previous rule where the score at 60 minutes would count.
The Cup, as usual, will be split into two groups of five. Braehead Clan, Belfast Giants, Dundee Stars, Edinburgh Capitals and Fife Flyers will compete in Group A, with Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze, Hull Stingrays, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers playing in Group B.
A quarter-final round has been introduced from season 2012-13 and these will be played over two legs. The format for the knockout stages are as follows:
Group A winner (A1) v Group B fourth place (B4)
Group A second place (A2) v Group B third place (B3)
Group B winner (B1) v Group A fourth place (A4)
Group B second place (B2) v Group A third place (A3)
The winners will progress to the two-legged semi-finals where the format will be:
A1/B4 v B2/A3
B1/A4 v A2/B3
The two remaining teams will progress to the two-legged final.
In the knockout stages, first-leg matches will only be counted until 60 minutes (no overtime or penalties), but the deciding second leg will have a five-minute overtime period (four-on-four) and penalty shots if necessary. Each side will take three penalty shots and, if scores are still level after three shots, sudden-death penalties will follow.
Nottingham Panthers are the current Challenge Cup champions and have won the tournament for the past three years. Last year, the Panthers beat Belfast Giants 10-4 over two legs.
- May 16, 2013The Latest from Doug
- May 14, 2013The STAR on The Legue Return
- May 13, 2013Next Signing - "It's Jeff Legue"
- April 23, 2013Player Sponsorship for Season 2013-14
- May 13, 2013Steelers Wish Frank Luck on His Move to...
- May 13, 2013Christiansen Returns to the States
- May 9, 2013No Return for Jorgensen
- May 6, 2013"Steelers Brit Pack Just Got Younger and...
- May 6, 2013Dowd Returns to the Sheffield Steelers
- May 2, 2013Season Ticket Update
- May 1, 2013Good Luck to All at the Conference Weekend...
- April 29, 2013The Bull Dog Returns.