Sheffield Steelers 3-4 Coventry Blaze
Despite a third period comeback the Sheffield Steelers went down 4-3 at home to the Coventry Blaze on Saturday evening at the Motorpoint Arena.
Steelers dominated the first period outshooting their opponents 1-4 in the first 2o minutes. It was however the Blaze that took the lead with Dustin Cameron netting in the 15th minute.
Drew Fata scored on his first appearance for the club 3 minutes later to send the sides in level after the first break.
The middle session started with a bang as Steve Goertzen put the Steelers ahead just 20 seconds in. Then the Blaze took over as cameron hit two in under three minutes to have the Blaze ahead 3-2 and complete his hat trick.
Despite carrying the exhibition tag the game carried an edge, this escalated 12 minutes in when Jason Hewitt clashed with Brad Leeb, the Blaze forward leaving the game with a match penalty for a "sucker punch". Steelers Matt Stephenson also joined in fighting the Blaze heavyweight Ben Olson not once but twice.
With Shawn Limpright in the penalty box the Blaze power-play struck and Captain Shea Gutherie netter for the Blaze 4th goal to end the period 4-2 ahead.
Colin Shields reduced the deficit to just one 3 minutes in to the final period. Steelers again outshot the Blaze in the final period but try as they did the Steelers couldn't get that all important tying goal, despite pulling goalie DeCaro in the final moments.
- October 24, 2014Book Early - 7.30pm Face-Off
- October 24, 2014Highlights: Steelers 6-2 Capitals
- October 23, 2014Tony Smith Message to Season Ticket Holders
- October 23, 2014"Stingrays Test A Tough One" says Hewitt
- October 23, 2014AUDIO: Gerad Adams Following the 6-2 Win...
- October 23, 2014"Fretter is a Very Good Hockey Player" says G
- October 22, 2014Sheffield Steelers 6-2 Edinburgh Capitals.
- October 17, 2014Box Office Information: Steelers Vs. Hull...
- October 22, 2014Great £25 Ticket Offer for Double Header...
- October 21, 2014O'Connor Set to Play
- October 21, 2014Steelers Duo Roy & Forney Lead the Way
- October 21, 2014Pascal Morency Update: Back on the Ice