Devils End Steelers Twelve Game Win Streak – Devils 4:1 Steelers

Game Summary

The Steelers twelve game winning streak was ended tonight on the road against the Cardiff Devils as the two quality teams went head to head. The win tonight pulling the league lead back to twelve points for the Steelers as they headed back home to take on the Coventry Blaze on Sunday night.

The Steelers led the contest during the first period thanks to a goal from Domnic Cormier, finishing a nice feed top shelf from Patrick Watling, but the relentless pressure throughout from the Devils saw them equal at the first period break as Arniel finished a rebound from close range. A second period Ryan Barrow tip was then added to by two empty net goals late in the third period as the Devils look to mount a late season come back.

First Period [1-1]

Speed on show early from both teams and they went back and forth trading blows with the Devils arguably having the better of the opening period. First effort of the game coming for the Steelers as Vallerand’s shot in the first minute was blocked out in front before Tansey was gloved low by Ben Bowns.

However, after a good shift from the Devils pinning the Steelers into their zone, it was the visitors who got themselves on the board first at (9.27) as Watling laid the puck off to Dominic Cormier and his quick snapshot was good enough to find the top corner. Secondary assist to the returning Brett Neumann.

The pressure then came back onto the Steelers with the Devils quickly back onto their game looking for the equaliser and getting just that at (13.27) after Greenfield saved an initial effort from Barrow, but was only able to pad away the next Cole Ully backhanded effort with Jamie Arniel circling to pick up the rebound and fire home. The Steelers arguing that the puck had left the zone prior.

The Steelers disappointed not to be leading again with 5 minutes to go in the period as they enjoyed nearly a minute of five on three powerplay action when Wilde was called for boarding Dowd who was followed not long after to the penalty box by Arniel for tripping on Nicholls. But the Steelers were never allowed to set up properly and the Devils averted the danger.

A solid final few minutes for both teams in a period which saw the Steelers out-shoot the home team by 12 to 8 on target which the Steelers would have been hoping to capitalise on in the second.

Second Period [2-1]

The Devils good value for their lead after forty minutes, having the better of the second period with the Steelers coming back into their own towards the end. The home team having overturned the deficit in the shot count statistics heading into the final period all level at 26 shots each.

Netminders being tested at both ends throughout with Robert Dowd having efforts back to back down the left wing with Watling then unable to covert at the backpost with an open goal as he was fed by Mikko Juusola from the opposite side of the zone. Bowns then robbing Ciampini later in the period as the red light looked destined to come on for the Steelers but somehow Bowns got across his crease to save with the blocker.

The Devils go ahead goal coming (27.25) after some sustained pressure as Cody Donaghey’s blast from the blue line was perfectly tipped by Ryan Barrow leaving Greenfield with no chance with the deflection from close range.

The Steelers able to then kill off a Sam Jones cross-checking penalty behind the play before the period was finished off with some afters between Watling and Crandall to spice up the encounter further heading into the final period of regulation.

Third Period [4-1]

Despite a spirited effort from the Steelers it wasn’t to be as two empty net goals in the final few minutes sealed their fate, as the Devil’s closed the gap back to 12 points between the two sides at the top of the table.

Ben Bowns, as he often does against the Steelers was lights out in the final period in particular ultimately saving 40 of his 41 shots faced. A particular mention needed for his save on a Robert Dowd tip with a flash of the leather from close range. Greenfield no slouch at the other end with a 93.55% save percentage of his own.

With no luck getting back level, Greenfield was pulled with just over two minutes remaining at the Steelers timeout, but a missplaced pass from Saucerman was capitalised on by Trevor Cox and shortly afterwards by Cole Ully after strong work by himself in his own zone to win the puck back as the Devils scored two empty netters in the space of 27 seconds.

Up Next

We will see you tomorrow as we now head back home to take on the Coventry Blaze as the Steelers look to get back to winning ways. 4pm face off – see you there!

📸 James Assinder